Whether you’re vegan, gluten-free, or trying to be healthier, eating out can be a difficult time. There’s always so many tasty dishes that make it hard to choose nutritious options. Lucky for you, well-being doesn’t need to come at the expense of flavor. Here are our favorite tips for staying healthy while eating out.
1. Snack Beforehand: Eat a small snack before going out to prevent raging hunger at the dinner table. This will help you tune in with your body and make smart choices.
2. Drink Water: Have a glass of water before your meal arrives. This can prevent overeating and keep you hydrated. Choosing water for your meal will also limit added sugars and alcohol.
3. Be Mindful: Take your time and focus on the conversation, not just the food. This will also help you slow down and check in with yourself. You can also try putting down your fork between bites to eat slower. When you feel full or satisfied, save the rest for leftovers. This will prevent overeating and will also reduce food waste!
4. Limit fried or breaded foods: Choose foods that are baked, broiled, grilled, poached, steamed, boiled, or roasted. These have less saturated fat and salt.
5. Opt for more veggies: Choose vegetables as your sides. These provide vitamins and fiber making them a nutritious alternative. You can also pick sauces made from vegetables, rather than cream or butter sauces. This will limit saturated fat and extra calories.
6. Picking dessert: Share dessert with the table to keep everyone satisfied and limit added sugar. Choose lighter dessert like frozen yogurt or sorbet instead of cake to keep things simple.